Healthpoint is New Zealand’s national health services directory. We enable equal access to detailed health service information, supporting people to navigate and better engage with the health sector.
The HL7® FHIR® standard Healthpoint API allows applications and health provider websites to easily access provider information to connect patients with services that support their health and wellness.
Why use the Healthpoint API?
High quality Healthpoint content
Healthpoint is the single centralised place for people to access information about health and social services available to them. Healthpoint enables people to find relevant providers near them and understand who they are, what they do, the services they provide and how to access them.
Providers and services change constantly. Staff, locations, contact details, contracts, programmes and eligibility criteria for access change. Healthpoint’s world class quality systems ensure service information stays up to date, with approximately 1,200 providers changing their service information on Healthpoint every month.
Reducing duplication of effort and resource, providing system-wide consistency
The Healthpoint API enables unlimited users and applications to continuously stream up-to-date Healthpoint content, rather than investing considerable resource developing and maintaining their own directory.
This system reduces duplication of effort and cost for services and developers while also ensuring that end users are accessing consistent, accurate and up-to-date information in all places.
Supporting the future state of NZ’s interoperable health system
The Healthpoint API infrastructure is built on Amazon API Gateway according to FHIR® (Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources) guidelines for API development and authentication. The FHIR® set of data standards enables seamless, on-demand information exchange, improving the ability for systems to share data.
Healthpoint has used the FHIR® standard to provide a true reflection of the NZ healthcare service landscape.
The Healthpoint API Gateway provides a free UAT/Sandbox, with supporting documentation and open API tool.
Healthpoint FHIR® API Technical Summary:
The Healthpoint FHIR® API is a RESTful implementation of the FHIR® (Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources) HL7 standard for healthcare data exchange.
It is built on HAPI FHIR the FHIR® API for Java, an open-source implementation of the FHIR® specification in Java, and runs on AWS infrastructure to be robust, responsive, reliable, scalable and secure.
The FHIR® data model is to build a base set of resources that, either by themselves or when combined, satisfy the majority of common use cases in healthcare. In modelling Healthpoint data we rely on the following FHIR® modules:
- Foundation The basic definitional infrastructure on which the rest of the specification is built.
- Administration Basic resources for tracking patients, practitioner organisations, devices, substances, etc.
- Healthcare Services Map to a Healthpoint service e.g. West Doctors
- Location Maps to a Healthpoint service’s location e.g. 23 Edwin Street, Mt Eden, Auckland
- Practitioner Maps to a healthcare provider profiled in Healthpoint. This could be a dentist, general practitioner, midwife, optometrist or specialist e.g. Dr Mikayla Quinn
- Practitioner Role Provides information about a healthcare provider, in the context of a service they work at.
- Serialisation Formats XML and JSON.
- Terminology Use and support of terminologies and related artifacts.
- Conformance How to test conformance to the specification and define implementation guides.
- Linked Data Defines methods of access. For the Healthpoint API this is REST.
Do you have any questions? Email us firstname.lastname@example.org or call us (09) 630 0828.
FHIR® is the registered trademark of HL7 and is used with the permission of HL7.
Use of the FHIR trademark does not constitute endorsement of this product by HL7.